May is Mental health Awareness Month and The Score wants to make sure all of our listeners are taking care of themselves.
Here are some tips and reminders to make sure you’re as centered as you can be.
- Stress affects your entire body, physically as well as mentally.
- Exercise daily. Exercise can take many forms. Daily exercise naturally produces stress-relieving hormones in your body and improves your overall health.
- Eat well. Eating mainly unprocessed foods like whole grains, vegetables and fresh fruit is key to a healthy body. Eating this way can help lower your risk for chronic diseases, and help stabilize your energy levels and mood.
- Get enough sleep. Adults generally need between seven and nine hours of sleep. To make your nighttime sleep count more, practice good “sleep hygiene,” like avoiding using computers, TV and smartphones before bed.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs. They don’t actually reduce stress and often worsen it. If you’re struggling with substance use, click here for helpful resources.
- Practice relaxation exercises. Deep breathing, meditation and progressive muscle relaxation are easy, quick ways to reduce stress.
Brought to you by 95.3 The Score, Evergreen Nutrition, Demolition Zone, Benson Health Clinic, Peak Medical Clinic, and Emergence.